Daniel is a descendant of the ancient lineage of “Herr” the Noble Schwabish Knights of Bilried. Its knights were brave and worthy… its true! okay okay, on a more serious note:
Daniel received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Cornell University in 2007 and immediately returned back to the west in pursuit of outdoor adventure and entrepreneurial opportunities.
After a few stints in Civil Engineering and real estate development, Daniel joined a start-up called the Clean Energy Center in Reno, Nevada, quickly realized the need for leadership, took the helm and with his colleague Patrick Baldwin, grew the company from $75,000 to $2.5M in annual sales in two years. CEC was a design and installation contractor focused around energy efficiency, wind resource development and renewable energy systems including Solar Photovoltaics, Solar Thermal, Wind Energy, and LED lighting. Through Patrick and Daniel’s efforts the Clean Energy Center completed a number of flagship Solar projects (including the City of Ely EECBG Project with JCI), was recognized in 2011 as a leader in the state of Nevada and received the Nevada Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology’s “Green Technology Company of the Year” Award.
In the fall of 2011 Daniel began building the Sontag Entrepreneurship Competition at the University of Nevada, Reno in pursuit of his Masters in Business Administration (which he received in May, 2013) while continuing to pursue his goal of working in Private Equity & Venture Capital.
In 2014 and beyond Daniel has taken a deeper dive into Private Equity with Castle Crow & Company in Tahoe and San Francisco, advising private business owners and subsidiaries/divisions of public companies regarding growth equity, leveraged buyouts, management buyouts, recapitalizations, minority equity investments and mezzanine capital investments. Daniel quickly found success receiving LOI’s for two $20m+ TEV businesses within his first 6 months. In October, 2015 Daniel closed his first significant Private Equity transaction – a $300m revenue IT Solutions company. Since that time, Private Equity transactions in-which Daniel has played an integral part include:
- Alta Equity Partners‘ recapitalization of Robinson Aviation
- Axalta’s (NYSE: AXTA) acquisition of Ellis Paint
- RPM International’s (NYSE: RPM) acquisition of Adhere Industrial Tapes (UK)
- New Water Capital’s recap of Sea Link International
- The Jordan Company / DiversiTech’s acquisition of Cliplight Manufacturing
- New State Capital Partners’ recapitalization of NWN Corporation
Daniel’s aim is to provide great value with creative solutions and determination. He has a vision for the future with an firm that invests in, creates and builds valuable, sustainable, and profitable businesses. Daniel may not create every business from the ground up, but he loves to find great ideas, understand them from the roots up, simplify their purpose, refine and redefine the approach, and act strategically to better the value proposition of businesses to the world. Daniel believes in helping people achieve success by enabling them to perform more effectively. He has the technical background to dig into any problem and the management experience for critical big picture decisions. Quality enterprises make the world a better place… that is Daniel’s game.
What Daniel values and looks for daily:
- to be challenged
- to learn from my surroundings
- to work extremely hard and be appropriately compensated
- to work on some of our world’s toughest problems
- to work with and for people who intellectually challenge me
- to be surrounded with hard-working, caring, and passionate people
- to make significant time for recreation and family
- to find humor and joy in the comedy of life
- to respect and enjoy the natural environment
- to believe whole-heartedly in my endeavours